Recently I've been playing around a lot with acrylics and transparency and I must admit that I LOVE IT! It has so much potential in making your layouts or projects looks awesome and unique. In my latest layout I've used some transparency sheets to create my own mini overlays.
It's really very simple. I've used some stamps where we would normally only use it for making cards or ATCs. and stamped on the transparency using some black solvent ink. And there you have your own mini overlay. Then, you might just want to ask me, why not just stamped on the layout itself?
1) It would give a different texture to the layout
2) It ease the process of stamping an image onto uneven area. (ie. Different layers of papers)
3) In my layout, I've also painted the edges using some red acrylic paint to further defined the squares.
4) It gives the glass look to your layout.
5) You could print any image onto transparency using toner based printer.
Let me know what you think of this idea after looking at the complete layout.